Pharmacy Enquiries

Help with Medicines

Pharmacists can give advice on your medicines. This includes how to use your medicine, worries about side effects or any other questions you have. 

If your medicine is out of date or unwanted, do not put it in the bin or flush it down the toilet. Take it to your pharmacy to be disposed of safely

Kamsons Pharmacy

Park Crescent Health Centre is located next door to Kamsons Pharmacy. For a full comprehensive list of the services they offer click here

When to speak to a Pharmacist

Pharmacists can give you advice on a range of conditions and suggest some over the counter medicines that can help. Each pharmacy will offer different services depending on the needs of its population and what is comissioned locally.

They may also be able to offer treatment and some prescription medicine for some conditions, without you needing to see a GP (this is called Pharmacy First). Conditions they can treat as part of Pharmacy First are:

  • earache (aged 1 to 17 years)
  • impetigo (aged 1 year and over)
  • infected insect bites (aged 1 year and over)
  • shingles (aged 18 years and over)
  • sinusitis (aged 12 years and over)
  • sore throat (aged 5 years and over)
  • urinary tract infections or UTIs (women aged 16 to 64 years)

If you go to a pharmacy with one of these conditions, the pharmacist will offer you advice, treatment or refer you to a GP or other healthcare professional if needed. They will then update your GP health record.

You can see a pharmacist if you have a cough, tummy trouble, rashes and aches and pains.

Pharmacies also offer a vaccination services including flu jabs, anti-malarial and travel vaccinations.

Needle exchanges are available at selected pharmacies.

NHS Community Pharmacies can also help support you to quit smoking

Some pharmacies are able to dispense the emergency contraceptive pill for free to anyone under 25, but you must have a consultation with a trained pharmacist to access this service. For anyone above 25 there will be a charge.

Pharmacists can also offer medication for erectile dysfunction. 

When to speak to a GP or other healthcare professional

Pharmacist are not permitted to prescribe any medications listed in the schedules to the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. This includes medicines such as benzodiazepenes and opiate based medications, for example, dihydrocodeine.

If you have been experiencing presistent symptoms or you have a long term condition speak to your GP.

If you have a sprain, burn, or fracture visit an Urgent Treatment Centre or A&E

If you are experiencing serious or life threatening emergency like chest pain attend A&E or call 999

If you are unsure where to go or what to do call 111